Yesterday’s 11-1 Opening Day thrashing by the Phillies means another long, hard season for baseball in the nation’s capital. Not so for hip-hop, where Nigerian-born and District/PG County-raised Wale has been blowing up go-go tinged mixtapes for several years. I saw him rep the DMV (that’s DC, Maryland, and Virginia) on the Rock the Bells tour two years ago. Now he’s back with a debut album, Attention Deficit, that didn’t actually drop until November ’09, but close enough. And you can hear him tonight, with another African-born, North American-bred MC, the Somali-Canadian K’Naan. Below is the track he guested on “Attention Deficit,” plus his soon-to-be-global World Cup anthem.
Entries Tagged as 'd.c.'
April 6th, 2010 · No Comments
February 4th, 2009 · No Comments
c/o co-sponsor Neal Becton at Som Records, who has a real passion for all sounds Brazilian. I played his Brazilian Rhythms party last summer, back when the weather in the mid-Atlantic felt more, well, Brazilian.
January 17th, 2009 · 1 Comment
No, I’m not going to the inauguration like some of the other crazy 51:51 bloggers (ahem di1 casi g ahem). However, I do have some hometown pride that D.C. is not just going to be the political center of the world, but also the party center, at least for this one weekend. The city council is even letting the bars stay open later (first 5 am, now 4). But if you don’t have any luck at the bars, be careful: downtown is a prostitution-free zone.
For anyone who might be taking the train, bussing, driving, or shit even walking down to D.C. this weekend, here’s a what it do for the city’s biggest weekend ever.
- Shift at the Warehouse Loft: Ron Trent bringing Chicago’s other great export — house. $15 before midnight/$20 after.
- BET Honors Inaugural Gala hosted by P Diddy at Love. $50.
- Funk With a Purpose Go-Go Night featuring Big Tony and Trouble Funk. Holiday Inn in Alexandria, VA, $20.
- Pre-Inauguration Party with Vybe and the Let It Flow Band. Takoma Station, $30. “Dress like you’re meeting the PRESIDENT.”
- Obamarama Pre-Inaugural Party by the DC Blues Society. Surf Club Live in Hyattsville, MD, $15.
- Caps vs. Bruins. Seriously, my Deadskins lived up to their worst nickname, the Nats 2008 season is still an ugly memory of a summer gone horribly wrong, and the Wizards are a jaw-droppingly bad 8-31. The Capitals boast arguably the best player in the world in Alex Ovechkin and are in first place in the southeast division, as are the Bruins in the northeast. This is the only real sports in town this weekend. Sold out, but I’ve got tickets, sucker.
- Inauguration Concert on the National Mall featuring Beyoncé, The Boss, Bono, Shakira, will.i.am and Stevie Wonder. 2:30 pm, public entry begins at 8 am. In front of the Lincoln Memorial. Free.
- Daylight Pre-Inauguration Celebration featuring classic soul, house, and old-school hip-hop. Bohemian Caverns, 2pm. $30.
- Aloha Inaugural Ball — Hawaiian theme, hula dancers, etc. Mrriott Wardman Park Hotel. $300-$650 (!!)
- Presidential Status featuring Young Jeezy, T.I., and Akon at Love. $50.
- Change? Let’s Start With Dancing. Inaugural Kickoff Party featuring Moby. 9:30 club, sold out.
- Arethra Franklin at the Kennedy Center. 6 pm, free, but tickets required (distribution begins at 4).
- Hip-Hop Summit Action Network Gala hosted by Russell Simmons, LL Cool J, and T.I. Harman Center for the Arts, $1,000 (!!!)
- Inaugural Celebration featuring the Beastie Boys and Sheryl Crow, 9:30 Club, sold out.
- Inauguration Feast of Flesh — sword swallowers, burlesque dancers, fire eaters, and daredevils from noon to 4 am on Monday and Tuesday. The Palace of Wonders, $5.
- Jewish Community Inaugural Reception, Capital Hilton. Uhh, that’s where I’m going and my friend got me a ticket because her office is sponsoring it. Mmm, kosher hors d’oeuvres.
- Low 30s with a chance of snow. Dress warm and wear your Depends. Also heard a rumor that cell phones will be jammed. Stay close to your bros.
- The People’s Inauguration Ball at the Rock and Roll Hotel featuring Blaqstarr, Scottie B, Meistro, Deep Sang (Dirty Bombs), Stereofaith, and Nacey (Nouveau Riche DJs). Hosted by Senari. ONLY $10. Probably the cheapest good party on inauguration night.
- Funk 4 Peace Ball with Afrika Bambaata and Fort Knox Five. Modern, $15 advance/$20 at the door.
- Balls, galas, and more balls & galas. Higlights include the Baltimore-Washington Black McDonald’s Operators Association Ball (?!), the Obama Pajama Party, and the very local & legit 51st State Ball for D.C. voting rights. It will be in D.C. City Hall (the Wilson Building) with go-go legend Chuck Brown performing. Just be prepared to shell out tons of cash for pretty much any of these events if they’re not already full of VIPs.
And to think, four years ago I went to see Noise Against Fascism. How times have changed.